Friday, January 27, 2006

Exclusive Interview With Katie Stanko

Katie Stanko, the indie-folk songstress who appears at Coshocton's Coffee Co. this Saturday night (1-27@8 p.m.), recently "talked" with 7 year old Joey Combs about her music, inspiration and ice cream.

Joey: Hi Katie, I'm Joey and thank you for the interview. What do you remember about music when you were 7 years old?

Katie: EVERYTHING! When I was 7 was when my crazy obsession with music began! I have always loved music since I was a little girl. I got my first keyboard at the age of 7 and started writing songs about my stuffed dogs. I remember dancing around my living room/bedroom well...every room and singing John Denver, The Culture Club or The Carpenters. I have always loved music.

Joey: What inspires you to play music and write songs?

Katie: My family inspires me to play in the first place. I grew up in a very musical family--a lot of guitar players, tons of singers...very talented people. I knew when I was little, watching my Aunt Fran play her guitar, that I wanted to do that too. As far as writing the songs I do write, mostly relationships inspire my songs. They tend to be about love or feelings I have toward another person...(laughing)...pretty standard stuff.

Joey: Tell me about Patrick and your musical partnership.

Katie: Well, we don't really play "TOGETHER" together very much. We've been working more and more toward writing some songs together and making us a duo...but as for now, we just go places together and we each play separately. I love Pat. He is an amazingly talented singer and songwriter. It is an honor for me to play with him, and to be his future wife. We are getting married in July.

Joey: Who are some of your favorite bands?

Katie: My absolute favorite is Rilo Kiley...the lead singer, Jenny Lewis, just came out with a solo album this week and it's excellent. I also really enjoy Imogen Heap, Sufjan Stevens, Viva Voce, Metric, Granddaddy, The Spinto Band...tons of stuff. That is just what I am listening to right now.

Joey: What's your favorite ice cream and why?

Katie: This is a tough one because things have been changing for me recently. I have ALWAYS been a cookies and cream fan---until the day I die--but lately I just haven't been craving it as much. I guess I will have to say cookies and cream--with mint chocolate chip and peanut butter cup close behind. Ice cream tastes good, it makes me happy and is in my top 5 favorite foods.

Don't miss Katie this Saturday night at Coffee Co. , 311 Main St. Admission is FREE!

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0