Friday, March 31, 2006

The Coshocton Public Library And The 1st Amendment


For those in Coshocton who feel the need to protect my children from insidious verbiage contained within the walls of Wordsville (the public library), I say thank you for your concern, but no thank you for your demagoguery regarding what I or my children should read. How can I expect my children to seek truth, understanding, learn tolerance and ask questions when you feel the need to limit their choices?

I'm fully capable of making informed decisions for myself and children; as all parents should. If, as a parent or grandparent, you decide your child shouldn't read a book, then counsel your child in your belief systems. If you don't agree with the libraries reading choices, stay home. Better yet, save your gas and fine money. Buy your own books. The folks at Amazon, Borders, and Barnes and Noble will be happy to serve you. Freedom of choice is wonderful, yes?

As for me, I want my child to enjoy the 1st amendment freedoms afforded him (and you) by the framers of our Constitution. I respect your right to disagree; I don't respect your desire to foist your belief systems into my child's life. In case you've forgotten, here's a refresher:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
— The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason, whenever I hear the first amendment cited, I think of the Simpsons.

Randy M. Combs said...

Actually, the 1st Amendment tirade was inspired by Beavis and Butthead.

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0