Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Big Sandy And The Fly Rite Boys Swingin' Through The Area

The first time I saw Big Sandy and the Flyrite Boys was in Kansas City many years ago. They were the opening act for surf guitar legend Dick Dale. I had never heard the band who were dressed in monster cuffed jeans and looking as though they dropped off of Planet Hillbilly. They hit the stage and a diverse crowd paid little attention to the western swing/rockabilly combo...that is until about the third song. It's rare to see a band turn around a crowd, but Big Sandy did, and everyone danced. It's a show I'll never forget.

I had another chance to see the band in Cincinnati. This time, I met Big Sandy, collected autographs and talked about the old King Studios located back up the interstate. Man, oh man, they tore up the place again. Their sound had expanded. They touched on cajun, hillbilly, and mariachi sounds. One thing for certain; they are a great dance band.

I'd never been a western swing fan, but I can tell you, without a doubt, Big Sandy and the Flyrite Boys made me a believer. These cats are pure and can flat lay it down. Which brings me to this: Big Sandy and the Flyrite Boys are playing two shows, one this Friday, July 21, at St. Clair Park in Greensburg, PA (a small town south of Pittsburgh), and the other Saturday, July 22, at the Grog Shop in Cleveland.

Yeah, I know, it's a bit of a drive, but you'll have a blast and see one of the nation's great touring bands.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took Sandy and the boys for a spin last night. Those cats really know how to lay down a track. Felt like I was back in the Mississippi Delta.....only place in the world to hear authentic blues and rockabilly...Y'all come down some time............

Anonymous said...

Hey... I remember that conversation about King records and such! Thanks for the kind words and for passing on the info on our upcoming shows, Mr. Randy.

~from a motel room in Syracuse, NY~
Big Sandy

Randy M. Combs said...

Big Sandy,

Thank you for the years of enjoyment. It's a band like yours that keep my faith in music alive.

Randy

 
Template by suckmylolly.com - background image by elmer.0